The Lancaster Country Club was started in 1900. Originally, the club was located in Rossmere, across from Lancaster Catholic High School, where the original clubhouse still stands and is occupied as a residence. The golf course at that time was only 9 holes and was on the land now owned by Lancaster Catholic High School and used for their athletic facilities.
The club moved to its current location in 1913, and the first phase of the clubhouse was built at that time along with a 9-hole golf course and tennis courts. In 1919, the club purchased additional land and hired the golf course architect, William Flynn, who was from Philadelphia. Although most of his work is found around Philadelphia, his most recognizable work is outside the area at places like Cherry Hills Country Club in Denver, The Cascades in Virginia and Shinnecock Hills on Long Island. In 1940, the club again purchased additional land, this time on the other side of the Conestoga River and Mr. Flynn returned to Lancaster to design four holes on the new property and revise the existing holes to make a better 18-hole layout.
In the 1990's, the 9-hole Highlands Course was built due to additional demand for membership. At the time the club had a 15 year waiting list to become a member.
Tennis has always been a part of Lancaster Country Club, going back to its first days in the Rossmere neighborhood. Since that time the courts have been located behind the clubhouse, down by the river and in their current location near the front entrance. An air structure was purchased in 2003 to provide indoor tennis during the winter months. Expanding our tennis facility from six to nine courts is our latest improvement project with the addition of three Har-Tru synthetic clay courts in 2016.
As the years passed, the club grew adding the swimming pool in 1929 and the clubhouse has been expanded and reconfigured several times during its history. The most recent being in 2007 when the Flynn Dining room was created from the old Mixed Grill and the "Porch Lounge" was expanded to create the current Ballroom. At this time, the kitchen was also enlarged and remodeled to its current design, and the basement was expanded.
The club has hosted numerous events and golf tournaments over the years including the Armstrong World Invitational in 1974, featuring professional golfers and celebrity athletes. Our most recent event was the Women's U.S Open Championship, held in July of 2015. This championship is the most prestigious women's golf event in the world and was covered by Fox Sports. During the week-long event we hosted 135,000 spectators, a record for a Women's Open.